Friday, August 6, 2010

The Thing Who Wouldn't Leave

The Thing Who Wouldn't Leave is a short book by Edward Gorey about a quarterback who enjoyed a long and successful career then retired but came back for another season then retired again and then, oh, came back for another super successful season even considering his age and who now alleges he may play another season unless he retires. No, wait. That's Brett Favre. (The Gorey tale is about an unwanted house guest.)

Brett Favre is still about, y'all, and I really want to put my ugly mug in his and ask, "How can we miss you if you won't go away?" However, if what Brett really wants is to complete 20 seasons in the NFL, then I say good, great goal. go for it. He might also nut up and say, "I have been thinking about it long and hard and if it's in me, I want to do another season. I like this job too much to leave it just yet." He might also stop toying with his fans, his frenemies, his opponents, and me. He's a fine specimen of quarterbackihood but I am tired of hearing about it.

Regardless of what this season brings, after Super Bowl next year (roman numeral something-or-other), the next time I hear about you, Brett, I want it to be when you're inducted into the Hall of Fame. Not until. Stay cool. Keep quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment