Sunday, September 12, 2010

Luck for the Bears, stars in the park, and AGT - more haiku

For the Chicago Bears, it was a squeaker and a win, thanks to the bad fortune of Detroit Lions first string quarterback, Matthew Stafford, who was sacked by Julius Peppers, and Lions bitch (okay, wide receiver) Calvin Johnson. If Detroit hadn't lost their QB to a major shoulder injury at the end of the first half, and/or if Calvin Johnson of the Lions had completed the process of a touchdown play at the end of the fourth quarter, the Bears could very well have lost their season opener. There was also that shameful play at the one-yard line where the Bears still didn't get it across the line for a touchdown and they didn't turn to Robbie Gould to just give it a good kick either. THE ONE YARD LINE! THIRTY-SIX INCHES! The Lions defense is very good or the Bears offense is very stanky.

Someone needs to please remind me why Jay Cutler is allegedly worth so much money. I still don't understand. Still, as I watched the game, I realized I probably don't have what it takes to watch any sort of sporting match because it devastates me if they lose. As they say, a win is a win but my nerves like big fat rousing defeats of our opponents. The Tennessee Titans beat Oakland 38-13. That's the kind of bloodbath I like.

This week's haiku:

Poor Calvin Johnson!
Not completing the process
lets Chicago win.

Even Jay Cutler
mentioned Calvin's bad luck but
"A win is a win."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quinn Kelsey, 2007

Every year, usually the Saturday after Labor Day, the Lyric Opera of Chicago offers a free night of opera in the park called "Stars of the Lyric Opera in Millennium Park," featuring major opera stars and advanced students from the Ryan Opera Center. Long story short, it is a wonderful evening. This year's final selection of the evening was "O soave fanciulla" from La Boheme. Ana Maria Martinez and Leopardo Capaldo sang a thrilling duet. I've thought about it so many times over the past two days and I invite you to step out of your comfort zone and go to the opera next year - in the park and free. It might turn out to be your new favorite thing and trying it out won't cost you anything but a couple of hours of your time (get there early if you want a good seat).


Wonderful free songs
carry out onto the crowd
that sends back applause.



-------------------------------------

America's Got Talent winds up on Wednesday night. For a red hot change, I could stand it if any of the acts win. I suspect America will pick Jackie Evancho, the 10-year-old operatic soprano from Pennsylvania. The other three acts, Fighting Gravity, Prince Poppycock, and, to a lesser degree, Michael Grimm would more easily be turned in a Las Vegas act but ubertalented Jackie -- adorable, sweet, polite, and amazingly poised -- might walk away with the million bucks. I'd rather plunk down loot to see an over-the-top show from the likes of Prince Poppycock or Fighting Gravity. Season two's winner, ventriloquist Terry Fator, got a multi-million-dollar deal on the Vegas Strip. Why? Not a singer and his act can be modified and changed up. Wanna see a singer in Vegas? Plenty to choose from now. Think of the biggest shows in Vegas with a singer that wasn't ridiculously famous when they got to Vegas. Isn't one, is there? Since magician Michael Grasso got tossed, I would cough it up to see what Prince Poppycock or Fighting Gravity do. Hmm, apparently I think more strongly about this than I did at the beginning of this paragraph.

Heaven help me, please!
This guilty pleasure compels
me to see who wins.

And neither of these things -- not AGT, not Stars of the Lyric Opera in Millennium Park -- makes me want to snatch myself bald like the Bears do. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment