Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl XLV arrives ...

... and frankly, I don't care as long as the Steelers win and The Black Eyed Peas are awesome.  There might be a smidge of caring involved except there was a lot of snow in Chicago this week, like almost two feet worth of the stuff.  It was snowing when I got up this morning.  You can imagine how that made me feel.

Insult added to injury

But really, what's the difference?  That the weather beats me down is neither here nor there.  I can do nothing about!  I cannot change it!  I cannot control that many people in my neighborhood have the Shovel Revulsion Disease or are on such low-sodium diets that they thought the doctor includes feeding salt to their sidewalks!  I found a route to the bus that is a semi-straight shot that the neighbors were considerate enough to snowblow or shovel which was a major relief to me (you should see the mountain I stand on so the bus sees me).  Then why do I want to move to a warmer climate even as I know, intellectually, that there is little for me anywhere else except worse traffic, bad public transportation, higher costs of living, and questionable water tables?  I don't know the answer to this either.  I am thankful I bought myself some walking sticks to help me negotiate the snow.  I look like a giant Praying Mantis and when the bus comes, some people think they are canes and give me a seat.  I always say thanks, plant my rump down, pull out a book, start reading.  It is never a good idea to question motives on public transportation.

Deep in the heart of Texas -- or closer to the border of Oklahoma than the heart, really -- the Steelers and the Packers will have at each other.  There will be lots of smashing and pushing and shoving and then The Black Eyed Peas will perform.  I am hoping for "Shut Up," but I am sure it will be a medley or abbreviated versions of their biggest hits.  Then the Steelers and the Packers will push and shove and smash some more and the game will be over and we can think about exciting possibility of the 2011-2012 season.

The Fox Men of Football a/k/a the Pocket Square guys all sat in comfy chairs looking like large lumps because they sank into the chairs.  Who picked those chairs?  Didn't they look at the guys in the chairs before they put them on air?  Lumps who were folding in on themselves.  I took out my recycling and moved snow from in front of the garage space I rent (the young guy I share the spot with did the bulk of the 24-inch removal and is a major champ for that) just to keep on top of it.  Yesterday I put down 25 pounds of salt which softened things up.  I returned, intentionally missing the Bill Reilly-Barack Obama interview because, well, I am not a fan of Mr. Bill, to find the PS Guys all in SUITS with SQUARES except for Michael Strahan who doesn't put up with that nonsense.  Yes, there was the matching, except Jimmy's square was chartruese and his tie, green and turquoise, a combo that almost put me off food except nothing can really do that. So it was pretty much yak yak yak yak yak, a change of clothes, and more yakking for four hours!  I am stunned by the sheer volume they produce.  There was rumored to be a drop in oxygen levels in the Dallas Palace of Fine Football when they entered and started consuming more than their fair share of air.

Congratulations to Chicago Bears great Richard Dent, newly voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  He was the MVP of Super Bowl XX so it is about darn time.

Now excuse me, I am going to cook up some broccoli with noodles which I am certain is traditional football fare chez vous aussi.

No comments:

Post a Comment