Sunday, November 4, 2012

She Is Where, Part 19

After the shower, she dried off, removed the shower cap, turned on the TV, and had a nap on her bed.  She awoke to full blown Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Years ago, she had a friend who was in the parade, attached to a float starring the late Shari Lewis, the creator of Lambchop and Charley Horse.  The people walking were all dressed a la Raggedy Ann and when they got to Macy's at 34th Street, Shari Lewis sang a song and they all danced around.  When it was over, her friend almost got separated from the rest of the Raggedy Anns except Shari Lewis came to her defense calling out, "Wait!  She's with us!"  Now whenever she happened upon the parade, she thought of her friend who now lived in Florida.

She sat bolt upright in bed.  She needed another pair of ears and her friend might be willing to hear.  She put on her robe and slippers and entered the speed dial for her friend.

As she usually did, her friend answered calling her by name.

"I am right about to start making dinner," her friend told her.  "But here's someone who wants to talk to you."

The next voice she heard was her friend's husband.  Her friend's husband was a no-nonsense kind of guy.  She got on great with him.

"What's going on?" asked the husband.

"Well," she paused.  "Check this out and tell me what you think."

And she told him.  She spilled everything to him.  The giant.  How handsome this man was.  The trip to Mount Prospect.  The Fiat.  The waitress in the restaurant.  The coat.  The car at the store.  The car by her house.

"This could be nothing," he said.  "Or it could be some weird psycho shit.  Damn.  I was thinking coincidence for the sightings.  I was thinking just a guy who was messing with your head at first.  But this could be some weird psycho shit.  Or it could just be some guy who thinks you're interesting and wants to spend more time with you."

She paused.  And thought.

"Then why not just say that he think I'm interesting and he doesn't know why I always run from him when he's just trying to be nice.  Why won't he tell me what he does for a living?"

"Because it's probably the weird psycho shit," he said.  "Frankly, I don't know.  What does your friend Lee say about it?"

"I haven't told him.  I haven't been able to put it into words to tell him."

"But you told me.  That's a great compliment.  Thank you," he said.  "Lee might have a different perspective."

"Lee has a hard time keeping things to himself.  He doesn't mean to spill information but he can't help himself.  It's just how he is.  But you're right.  He might have a different perspective," she said.

"I've not met him, I've only heard you talk about him, but he seems sensible," said the husband.

She just had to call Lee and tell him what had happened.  She was a little ashamed of herself.   He was a dear friend of hers and she hadn't confided in him about something that was bothering her so much.  He usually could sum up the situation in a sentence.  She promised herself that she would tell him.

"So what about the giant?" she asked.

"Honestly," said the husband,  "I think he really is just a guy who is nice and doesn't think this guy's a psycho.  You try not to categorize your friends as nut jobs because then you have to make excuses for the insanity.  Or he does know he's off but doesn't think he's dangerous.  If he thinks he is dangerous, then he can't justify having this friend who makes him look cool because he has a friend who is so incredibly handsome.  You know?"

"So he likes having such a handsome friend because people think differently about him?  He believes they think he's way hipper than he imagines himself to be?  Is that right?"

"Yes," said the husband.  "That's my theory.  Now you have to do me a favor."

"Sure," she said.

"Stay the fuck away from this fucker and the goddamn giant.  The handsome fucker is probably dangerous and the giant doesn't know yet.  It's just a feeling.  I'm not sure.  But don't let them get too close," he advised.

Her stomach flopped over.

"And now your old best pal needs my help in the kitchen so I have to go.  You call me the next time you see something.  Call me on my cell.  I know you have the number.  Just call me.  I'll tell your pal what's up and that I said to call me.  You have to swear.  I want to hear about this fucker" he said.

"You're making me all scared again," she said.

"Good," he said.  "Fear makes us pay attention.  Happy Thanksgiving."

He hung up.  Out on the street she heard someone's car alarm go on and not go off.

She peeked between the blinds and saw a family of four trying to load into a car as the father hit various buttons on the car remote.  It finally stopped whining and they were all smiling and laughing.  They really didn't have a care in the world.  Seeing their ease made her feel better and she went into the bedroom and got ready to go to her cousin's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment