Sunday, July 7, 2013

Flamingo!

In 1974, Alexander Calder's 50-ton, 53-foot Flamingo was unveiled in Federal Plaza in Chicago.  Unlike some of Calder's better known works which are mobiles, it is an abstract stationary sculpture.  It's doesn't move with the wind but its designs makes it look like it might.

There used to be a modelo of it in the lobby of the post office that was an exact smaller scale made by Calder so the blind could experience it.  There was a plaque next to it describing it in American English and in braille.  It was quite thrilling for me to see it and touch it.  It disappeared from the post office and I imagined it languishing in the basement of that facility but have come to find out the modelo (also called a maquette) resides in the Modern Wing at the Art Institute of Chicago, roughly three blocks east of its former location.

Flamingo is right in front of the post office where I have my PO box.  I have been trying to take pictures of it every day I am over there as long as (1) I remember a camera of some sort and (2) it isn't raining.  (I was there twice on Saturday and managed to leave the camera at home both times.  Clever, huh?)

I've tried different angles.  There are panoramas.  I have tried looking right up its legs at its underbelly.  I have done reflection shots.  I still think there are angles in there that I've not yet visited.

Allow me to share my latest photo fascination:
June 2013, looking at the underside, southwest and up

May 2013, looking east at it

May 2013, looking east with reflection
December 2012, looking northwest
First panorama, January 2013, during a snowless afternoon lull, looking southeast


1 comment:

  1. When are you going to climb on top of it and take a picture from *THAT* angle? ;-)

    ReplyDelete