Sunday, February 23, 2014

All this and the Ambassador Bridge

People who know me well will tell you that I am not a drinker.  In college I was more excited about being the designated driver than about missing out on booze.  "Does anyone mind?  I'll give you my keys right now."  I snagged those puppies right up because I liked going out and socializing but drinking in excess wasn't as cool as being trusted with the car of another.  Barring some isolated incidents of sensationally bad judgment in my past, I am mostly cold sober at the wheel.  If there's delicious champagne, either I'm spending the night, there's another driver, or I'm going to be in a cab or on public transportation.

In spite of that, I've lately been thinking about mixed drinks during evenings at home.  I like decent-to-fine champagne but a girl can't drink a whole bottle of bubbly without gross results, so I've taken to concocting drinks of my own taste.  As a cook, I don't have the patience to follow a recipe.  Same goes for alcoholic bevvies:  I just don't wanna.  And so I have my own creations, which I now share.  If you need to follow a recipe, then mark these down.

GOOD MORNING!
4 ounces of carrot juice
4 ounces of orange juice (fresh-squeezed is best)
Vodka to taste

Veggies!  Fruit!  ALCOHOL!  Ice is optional.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

MY OWN TOOTSIE ROLL
6 ounces of orange juice (fresh-squeezed is best)
2 ounces of Patron XO Cafe (Coffee liquor made with tequila)

Wake up and smell the Patron.  Knock off at night with Patron.  If you are feeling super frisky, toss in some vodka.  All times of the day are acceptable.  Stay off the streets.

I'm from Detroit, a city on the border with Canada.  I wanted to honor my hometown's spicy ginger ale and the whiskey that's distilled by our neighbors to the north (or, in the case of Detroit, our neighbors to the south) and I came up with this drink.  The perfect name was harder than the drink itself.  (Some rejects:  The Detroit River, Bridge-N-Tunnel.)

THE AMBASSADOR BRIDGE
6 ounces of Vernor's Ginger Ale (diet or regular)
2 ounces of Canadian whiskey (any will do but I've been using Crown Royal)
1 Marischino cherry (because why the hell not?)

Pour into a glass over ice.  Toss in the cherry.  Drink up and think of Belle Isle, Jackson Park
in Windsor, and both the bridge and the tunnel.  Sing an amalgam of O Canada and the
Star Spangled Banner (example:  "O'er Canada and the home of the brave").  Try not to drunk dial Kwame Kilpatrick in prison.  Eat the cherry and throw away the stem.  I don't want to hear about your nasty tying-the-stem trick.  Just enjoy an adult beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment