Sunday, May 10, 2015

What If?

I must like to make myself insane because the Bulls and the Blackhawks are in postseason playoff situations and I am excited!  I know better than to be excited as I don't like to get my heart broken but to maybe have two winning teams is a thrill.

The reason why I don't like to watch sports, especially in person, is because I start caring and become emotionally invested in what's happening and if the team for which I am rooting loses, then I take it personally, like they did it to me on purpose.  I am trying to be aloof about my feelings for the Blackhawks and the Bulls in this winning situation but it's difficult because, well, what if?

One of my work friends posed this question at work on Friday: "What if the Bulls and the Bears go all the way?  The city would have two parades!  There would be two rallies for the winning teams!  Wouldn't that be great if that happened?"

Yes, it would be.  My mind boggles with how happy sports fans -- and others -- would be.  It's a thrill.  When the White Sox won the World Series in 2008, there was an awesome parade and I got to throw confetti out the window of my workplace (we were in a building with small windows that tipped open just enough for me to put my arm out and let loose with crap).  The crowd was huge and I'll never forget the roar of the crowd when they turned from Jackson onto LaSalle.  It was thunderous, excited, thrilling, and divine.  When the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup in 2010  for the first time since 1961, there was a huge parade and my work friend and I went behind the building to take in the parade.  Not many people knew the route went there so we got to stand right at the curb and had a very good view.  In 2013, lots of people found out about this spot on Washington, just west of the railroad overpass, and my work friend and I and everyone else in our office decided to stay away.  The same route was filled with parade goers by 10 a.m. but it was still cool and wonderful. 

I imagine a basketball series where we get past LeBron James and the Cavs then on to the next series.  I imagine the Blackhawks going all the way through to the conference finals -- which start on Tuesday or as late as May 17 -- and then on to the Stanley Cup finals.  I imagine two parades -- although who is going to pay for that? -- and the Art Institute putting a basketball jersey on one lion and a hockey helmet on the other.  I imagine the Lyric Opera congratulating both teams on their signs.  I imagine smiling because it would be such a lovely thing for sports fans and the city.  I imagine laughing because I can't believe it and I am so happy.

What if?  I would be delighted and maybe you would be, too.  Go Bulls!  Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment