Sunday, July 12, 2015

Insert frowny face here

Patrick Sharp, #10, left wing on the Chicago Blackhawks has been traded.  "NOOOOOO!" I shouted.  Patrick Sharp is not just a terrific hockey player but really seems like a pleasant, well spoken fellow.  And dear god in heaven, that is a handsome man.

In the words of Wikipedia, the NHL salary cap is the total amount of money that National Hockey League teams are allowed to pay their players. It is a "hard" cap, meaning there are no exemptions (and so no luxury tax penalties are required).  Patrick Sharp, while a great player, was the remaining player considered less-than-tippety-top elite who was putting the Blackhawks over their cap limit.  And classy as ever, and I am paraphrasing, he said it was an honor to play for the Blackhawks and to help win three Stanley Cups championships but it was time to go to Dallas and do that.

Honestly, I thought he would announce he is retiring and will be staying here in Chicago to work in hockey broadcasting.  I am surprised he hasn't already.  This proves that I know a whole lot of nothing.

Who will the Blackhawks ever get that looks that good in his post-season-we're-not-shaving beard?  That is the challenge and I think those of us who like Blackhawks hockey and Patrick Sharp know it might be impossible.

I ♥︎ Patrick Sharp.  I wish him and his wife and two daughters all sorts of well.

AND THIS JUST IN:  Further proof of Patrick Sharp's greatness, below please find the words from the full-page ad he took out in today's Chicago Tribune.

THANK YOU, CHICAGO

I arrived in Chicago in 2005, not knowing the journey that the Blackhawks would take me on over the next 10 years. This team gave me an opportunity to play, to grow and become the person I am today. I will always be grateful for the time I spent here.

Winning the Stanley Cup was a dream come true; winning it three times with three different groups of teammates, coaches and trainers, was the ultimate privilege as a player. I feel an overwhelming sense of pride when I look back on all that we’ve accomplished together.

Thank you to Rocky Wirtz, John McDonugh, Stan Bowman and the entire Blackhawks family for allowing me to be part of a world class organization on and off the ice. Thank you to the fans for embracing me as a player and as accepting me as a part of Chicago.

This city has meant so much to me and my family: Three Stanley Cup victories. The birth of Madelyn Grace and Sadie Ellen. Endless memories from the fans, my friends and teammates. For the Sharp family, Chicago has become home.

Thank you,

Patrick, Abby, Madelyn and Sadie Sharp


No comments:

Post a Comment