Sunday, May 29, 2016

A vacation would be very nice

Due to my decision to get all things medical and dental done in the first six months of the year, I've entered into a contract with my savings account and my body that I won't have a great vacation this year.  I am using days for gum grafts, colonoscopies, and hand surgery.  My gums may be revisited in the fall so it's best to save days for that. 

I like to get out of town on an airplane.  I treated myself to global entry three years ago so when I go to O'Hare, it's less trauma for me.  Even if they change the configuration of the aircraft and change my seat, I can still get in the TSA pre-check line; I just have to strip down, take off my shoes, and show my bottles, all of which are fine with me.  Where it go is another issue.

There are several places where I can get really inexpensive airfare but when I get there, there aren't any affordable hotels to be had.  I can get good hotels at a great price but then the airfare makes my eyes bug out.  I also don't want to rent a car but that usually goes with the cheap-hotel-high-airfare scenario. 

I think the best option is New York City.  I know how to get around on public transportation, even from the airport into the city.  Visiting museums can be a bargain and Broadway and Off-Broadway show tickets can be snagged.  It's New York and they rotate clothing merchandise so it's easy to find things on sale.  I like the energy, I like the variety.

I've been reading the New York Times online for several years. I subscribe.  I like it so much that when I realized that I'd missed the window to re-up with a bargain rate and was paying the full subscription rate, I was okay with it.  Some of my favorite things to read are the reviews of inexpensive restaurants or new ethnic places. I make notes with every intention of enjoying one when next I visit.  (The last time, I visited none of them which is what "every intention" means.)

These are on my list for next time:

The King of Falafel and Shawarma
http://nyti.ms/1Xj3XeN

Taiwan Bear House
http://nyti.ms/1UVfrHp

Indian Accent
http://nyti.ms/2465CqI

If you see me, say hello, but please not during, 'k?

No comments:

Post a Comment