Sunday, October 2, 2016

Five weeks and two days

Five weeks and two days from today, Americans go to the polls to elect a new president.  I write them an open letter:

Dear Fellow Americans:

How are you?  How are things?  How is your family and that one crazy friend of yours whom I don't really like but you're crazy about so I feel compelled to ask about him/her until you're sick to death of him/her and cut him/her out of your life once and for all.  Of course he/she might be asking you about me for the very same reason unless he/she is a genuinely kind person which I very much doubt because there can't be two stellar humans in a friendship because you'd bore each other to absolute death with all that goodness, pleasantness, and niceness.  So I am pretty sure he/she is the crazy one because, wow, you're great.

I know you've all gone to some municipal or governmental location over the past few months to register to vote.  Maybe you've registered at your local library or at a folding table manned by someone who believes that people should vote.  About 24 years ago I joined the League of Women Voters just so I could register the lazy asses I was working with a the time.  I found out that many of my coworkers weren't registered because they simply didn't want to think about how to do it.  We worked second shift; they had all day, every day to work that out but they just were too lazy.  I joined the League of Women Voters, took a short class, and got sworn in as a registrar.  I got something like 10 people registered.  It turned out that most people were registered but were too lazy to make the effort to go to vote.  But the 10 people I signed up did go and vote.  One guy with whom I wasn't even friends said to me, "Good for you.  You made a difference."  I said it wasn't a big difference and he said that no one else had made any effort so good for me.  This man and I weren't friends; that was a huge compliment from him which I appreciated.

But I digress.

This is a huge election.  There is the intelligent, ex-Senator, ex-Secretary of State, ex-First Lady of the United States, Hillary Clinton.  There is the belligerent businessman, Donald Trump, who has never before run for office nor has he been nominated to any governmental position.  There is Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, who can't name any world leader anywhere, doesn't know what Aleppo is, and when he was the governor of New Mexico, fabricated a story about a tunnel in one of the prisons to make it sound like prisoners had dug said tunnel (it was a service tunnel that had been commissioned by the Bureau of Prisons ten years prior).  Finally, there is Jill Stein, head of the Green Party, who was wanted in North Dakota for misdemeanor trespassing and criminal mischief over Labor Day weekend.  The last two are mere spoilers.  The first two are the meat in this four-choice platter of voting.

People say they can't trust Hillary Clinton.  As Michael Moore asked his morning on "Meet the Press," did these people maybe ask her to water their plants for the weekend and she didn't do it?  There is no tangible reason.

Rudy Giuliani was on the same show (1) defending Trump for not paying taxes and taking a multi-million-dollar loss on his federal taxes in the mid-1990s.  "If he didn't claim that loss, he could have been sued by his investors."  He went on to say (2) that plenty of poor people don't pay federal taxes.  I address these things:  (1) Those people invested in Donald Trump's business but also in his alleged business acumen and alleged abilities to deliver on an agreement.  Rather than pay them back, he claimed a huge loss.  (2) Poor people don't pay federal taxes because they're poor.  If you make less than a certain amount, you're deemed too pitiful to have to pay.  In other words, the U.S. government tells them to keep their money, please, and buy some food for their kids.  Bottom line:  Rudy Giuliani is a simple tool.  I can't trust someone like Trump who won't take responsibility for his mistakes, screws his investors by saving his own ass, and doesn't pay his fair share of taxes.

Remember when George W. Bush gave that huge tax cut to the rich and everyone else in the early aughts?  But it mostly benefited the rich so they could allegedly create new jobs?  Did they create new jobs?  They did not.  Trump's idea to cut taxes for the rich will have the same result.  In the debate he talked about how terrible the New York airports area are and that they are just like the airports in Third World countries.  I am 99.9999% sure that Donald Trump has never been to a Third World Country.  Things like airports, bridges, and roads can get fixed with a healthy dose of federal funding.  Hello?  Donald?  Where does the government get its money?  Taxes.  Pay some.  To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, I like paying taxes; they buy me civilization.  (And more attractive airports.)

Hillary Clinton wants to improve the lives of Americans.  Donald Trump wants to improve the lives of rich Americans.  Are you a rich American?  If you're reading this blog, you are probably not.  You don't have to love Hillary Clinton, you just have to respect her and realize that she is well-prepared and sane.  And her husband left office with a surplus.  Remember surpluses?  Yeah, I do, too, but only vaguely.  If Bill can score one, so can Hillary.

As my sister said eight years ago, "The Democrats can nominate a flour sack with a smiley face drawn on it and that's who I'm voting for."  And as my former manager, Jeff, said 16 years ago, "I don't care who the Democrats trot out, that's who I'm voting for."

Thanks for your time.  Make sure you're registered so you can make the first woman nominee from a major party the first woman president and because she is very smart, very prepared, very capable, and is respected worldwide.  That was a hell of a sentence but you get my drift: Hillary Clinton 2016.

Love and kisses,

E. M. Nowak


No comments:

Post a Comment