Sunday, December 11, 2016

Do me a solid

And so it's Christmastime and my birthdaytime!  Because of my move and having to move things and shift things and redistribute things, I don't really want things.  What do I like?  I am like the Rachel Green character on "Friends."  I want credit, gift cards, cash.  (Rachel had a list and if you got something that wasn't on the list, she returned it and got store credit.)  If it's a gift card, please make sure I shop at that store.

But I also like experiences but not lavish ones.  If I want a lavish experience, I will save my money for a good while and buy myself a trip to Japan or New Zealand or Iguazu Falls.  What I want are simple experiences that will help me enormously and let us spend time together.

For instance, it might involve laundry.  I don't want you to do it for me; I like to do it myself.  If there's a bleach mishap, I've no one but myself to blame.  I will bring my own detergent and Bounce.  I'd love to come to someone's house and put in a load and then another, use your dryer, then fold my own things and put them neatly in their bags for the trip home.  While there, if you want to do something really special, maybe give me lunch or snacks that you know I like to eat -- not what you think I might like, but what you know I do like -- and beverages I like to drink.  I like to watch mindless TV or something on Netflix; let me pick and watch with me.  I'd really rather talk with you and have you listen to me and I like you to share what's going on in your life.  I can sit by myself at home -- join me.  Treat me like an honored guest and that you're doing this because you're glad to see me and help me out.

Mean it.  That you mean it is maybe the best gift of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment