Vacay recap

Osaka Castle awaited on a hilltop in central Osaka
Okay, so it's not almost Spring.  It's the upper midwest and nothing is in bloom.  I was in Osaka, Japan, and the cherry blossoms and plum blossoms were starting to snap to, and they were lovely, like a promise fulfilled.

Osaka is a very prosperous city.  New building construction!  People racing around and spending money!  People going back and forth on public transportation!  Few people speaking English!

I am good with people not speaking English because I am in their country.  In Tokyo, I found that people speak a little bit of English.  In Nara and in Kyoto, it was the same.  In Osaka?  Not so much.  I know how to ask for directions by adding in the phrase that asks where something is that is pronounced "Doko des ka."  It works in all those places!  In Osaka?  I was greeted with a puzzled look and head shaking.  I understood instantly that I would have to rely on experience, maturity, and Google maps when I could not find someone who spoke any English.  Also, just because someone's name badge said they spoke English did not mean that they actually spoke English enough to understand a simple question like, "Can I use this transit pass tomorrow?"  In that case, I would have to ask it a different way and then a different way and then a fourth way.  Number 4 always did the trick, thank goodness. 

I got a lot of bad directions but I saw things that were useful along the way and I know that not everyone knows everything and not everyone knows how to give directions or read a map.  It adds to experience.  It is also exhausting but I am the one who put myself into the situation so that's that.

Impression of Nara -- the deer are protected by law and all they want is any food you might have.  They want it very much and they will chase you down for it and they will wipe their noses on your leg and they will nudge your ass and prod you.  This is why they cut off the antlers -- so they won't gore their marks.  They get very familiar very fast if they think there is food.  One stole my deer-food bag, spilled the contents, and was happily eating the plastic bag. I walked up to it and screamed that it was plastic and what was it doing and I grabbed the bag from its adorable little deer mouth, which took two tries.  They are all over the deer park but on the walkway up to Todai-ji Temple they are everywhere.  Deer are lovely woodland creatures but I am not a fan when they're up close and personal (like nudging my rump) or even when they're far away, really.

And so pictures!
Young Nara Deer Park resident and his mark

Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto and some of the gates that go up the mountain
Todai-ji Temple in Nara -- and the deer are not allowed on the grounds!  Hoorah!
Renting a kimono and hiring a photographer is a big thing in Kyoto
Osaka from the rooftop deck of Umeda Sky Bridge Building, 9pm and about 40º
Dotombori Canal, night ..
... and day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?