Why I don't work from home.

There are seven people in my department and when we were summarily sent away from the offices of the client where we worked happily, we were given the choice of working from home or from the main local office.  Everyone excitedly went home even though they gave them 45 pages of rules they had to follow except for two of us who returned to the old office where we used to work.

The hours lately have gotten longer and longer and the two of us still work in the office.  My associate is especially dedicated and works long hours without complaint.  "Let's just go home on time," I sometimes say.  "Sure and when we get in tomorrow it will be twice as bad," he says.  He is, of course, correct so we try to catch up and get ahead of it and get all our work done for that day.

Staying so late is a pain and years ago we each pretty much stopped making plans after work with friends or family.  It is what it is, we figure.  My associate has a train schedule and I take a couple of city buses.  Sometimes the buses run like multi-wheeled clocks and sometimes I stand and chat with other waiting passengers.  Sometimes a guy who is out of his mind from something or other will dance in the rain, sing, introduce himself, shake hands, and wish you a blessed  night.  Sometimes you help someone get her umbrella closed.  I've conversed at length with a man who lives in a building near mine as we've seen each other on buses and at concerts for a couple of years. None of my co-riders wants trouble; we are all just people and we chat to pass the time.

Friday night was a long one -- 8pm -- and I didn't get home until after 9.  The next morning I went to an event with a work colleague and she asked when I'd left.  I told her and she suggested I work from home just so I can leave on time and then can pick it up there.  "Then you're home."  I said, "No, no, no, no, no.  I have nowhere to sit.  I'd still have to take an hour getting home and then I'd have to carry a laptop too and set everything up and get it going and then I'd still have to work.  If I finish at work then I am finished and can go home and watch TV."  "But you'd be home."  I said I was good.

My place is small and working here on my job is not for me.  When I'm done with work I want to decompress on the bus or other conveyance and maybe chat at the bus stop with other passengers.  When I get home I can relax fully because there is nothing I have to set up on a teeny table which is the only thing I have on which to work.

For those out there who can hardly wait for the day they can just work from home and not have to take the bus or a subway or the El or ride a bike or walk, I say congratulations and good for you.  For those who really don't mind the commute, come sit by me and we can talk.  Or come sit by me and don't say a thing and I will read and be glad I have public transportation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?