The November Basho

The November Basho is usually held at Fukuoka but the pandemic has it in Tokyo at Ryogoku Kokugijan, the Ryogoku Sumo Hall again and it is even more fascinating than usual.  As I learn more about sumo and recognize the players by face and name it has captured my imagination.  Wrestlers will come and go -- if someone drops out because of injury or illness they will promote someone for the day so that there are not daily wins due to the scratch -- but sometimes they just can't catch a break or an arm or a belt and don't win enough matches and end up being demoted.  And so it is for Enho, my favorite sumo.  He is 5'6" and when I first heard about him he weighed 216 pounds.  He has lost weight and is now down to 190.  He has opponents who are literally over twice his weight who don't seem to be falling for any of Enho's sumo tricks this time. This tournament has passed the midpoint and his record is 0-8.  After next Sunday, I will not be seeing Enho in Grand Sumo highlights until he gets promoted again.  Enho is very, very popular.  When he lost one match, the announcer said that the winner was very popular, "but not as popular as Enho."

Five years ago I went to see the sumo tournament in Tokyo and between the second-highest and highest matches, I went out to stroll around the stadium and maybe find souvenirs and I came across this sumo who was walking into the men's room.  I asked if I could take his picture.  He graciously stopped.  Probably all he wanted was to use the facilities and this crazy American woman wanted to take his picture.  That wrestler is now one of the top four wrestlers in the November basho.  His name is Teranofuji and his record after eight matches is 7-1.  His picture is below and he might look flabby but is majorly muscled and could have swatted me out of his way with little difficulty.  Thanks for not doing that, man!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?