A poem all my own

Yesterday afternoon I went downtown to shop and fetch a book at the library.  When I was arrived, the library was in the throes of Poetry Fest.  Poets were sitting at typewriters, clacking away, creating a poem, free of charge, that they wrote on the spot on the topic of your choice, part of something called "Poems While You Wait."  Write down your name and topic, go away for almost a half hour, and when you come back, the poem has been completed.  You have the name of the author who has also initialed it.

I figured I could kill time at a library and put my name on the list.  What topic?  What topic?  Others had requested a poem about love, about hope, and the little girl in front of me asked for something about ducks.  My mind went fucking blank and what sprang out of the pen?  "Expository writing."  When the gentleman who was in charge of this table of six poets -- there were three more in the lower level -- saw my request, he said, "A poem on expository writing?  This will be a challenge."  He would assign this to the next available poet and off I went to murder some time window shopping on a library computer.

When I returned the man in charge brightened right up.  He said, "She has written probably the best poem on expository writing of all time," and handed me the poem.

This is it:

My "Poem While You Wait," Poetry Fest, 28 April 2018, Harold Washington Library, Chicago
When I finished reading it and was delighted with the result, I walked over and asked which one Rachel was, shook her hand and thanked her.  I am delighted still and am going to have it framed.

Rachel!  Thank you again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?