Snow, snow, snow

Now I like living where I live.  Chicago is great and the actual area is vast.  The weather patterns are insane.  A plume of bad weather can come shooting south down the length of Lake Michigan and create massive snow accumulations by the lake in the city, in Northwest Indiana, and in Southeast Michigan, with the latter two getting the worst of the bargain.  I wake up some mornings and look out at the lake and it looks like there are mountains springing up from the water, evidence that there is some massive storm way off shore, moving to knock around the non-Chicago parts of the lake.  (My sister and I were once driving through Southeast Michigan on a December day trip.  One moment the roads were clear and within less than five minutes everything was white and the roads were covered.  Our conversation halted. Fortunately either it didn't last long or we drove out of it and conversation resumed.)  I don't even mind when sometimes there is a thin band that will race through just a narrow part of the area.  I experienced that joy a couple of summers ago when there was a band that ended and restarted and ended and restarted several times in my neighborhood.  I went out once and got caught in it twice, going and coming back.  I got home, drenched only from knees to toes because of my fabulous Ikea poncho, and did not go out again for the rest of the day.

And now it's winter and while it's been a pretty mild winter, it snowed yesterday.  I did most of my errands in the morning -- oil change, groceries, library, gas, returning an item to the store -- and got home hungry and happy that I beat the sticking stuff.  I ate and watched some TV and when I came up for air, it was 2pm and snowing.  Ah, a nice nap was in order.

Five hours later -- yeah, five -- I woke up and the snow that came up from the south didn't come up enough into my neck of the woods to land more than and inch or so.  The roads were mostly clear.  I took it easy and did some laundry.

Today it was not above freezing but all the roads were clear and dry and the sun shone brightly. Tourists crowded the sidewalks and Uber clogged the downtown streets. Things got done!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow but please nowhere near me and if it does snow, kindly clean it off your damn sidewalk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?