Fine Art

Yesterday I went to the Rogers Park Glenwood Avenue Art Fair.  I went to see Harriet's Hides whom they'd moved to the center of the festival but right by a drum circle.  Actually, they were more like a drum semi-circle and they were very devoted to their art.  Not overturned plastic buckets, ladies and gentlemen, but real African or Middle Eastern drums and the drummers played and played and played and played.  And it was loud.  I'd gone to where I thought she'd be as she'd always been in this spot before and that spot's artist did not show up leaving an empty booth.  When I got to the info booth and the drummers -- under the El tracks at the Morse stop which made the sound bounce all around and echo to and fro and be amplified -- were so loud that I had to scream, "CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND HARRIET'S HIDES?" at the booth person who tried to scream directions but said, "OH LET ME SHOW YOU," and came around the table and pointed at the table where Harriet's Hides was selling its wares.

It was very loud some 20 feet from the drummers.   "WHO IS IN MY BOOTH?" she asked.  "NO ONE," I answered. "IT SEEMS LIKE THE PERSON DIDN'T SHOW UP!"  It had rained hard that morning and many things had been made very wet.  She was looking forward to One of a Kind in December.

I've managed to keep a good portion of my hearing into my dotage and got away from the drummers as quickly as I could.

Long story short, I managed to find some Christmas gifts at the show and scored a free shopping bag from my State Senator.  I got advice on why it's better to get medical marijuana than it is to get the recreational stuff.  I talked to a woman with blue hair and a woman with purple hair who were sharing a booth and we all talked about their art and hair conditioning as that's been on my mind since I went blue, too.  They were delightful and talented and nice and seemed to do mostly goth shows.  Champaign, Illinois, was well represented, and I found out the woman who does the great magnets will not be at One of a Kind this year as it's too expensive.  She told me anything I wanted I could order and she'd arrange for me to get them as we don't live that far apart.  

And I also saw this.  I asked the artist of this piece if I could please take a picture of this and she graciously agreed.  I am sorry, Fine Artist, but I forgot to get your name.  This is genius and you made me smile.  For everyone else, remember that no one should fear art.

If you don't know what it means, maybe you don't need to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?