Denial is not a river in Africa.

I went to the podiatrist who advised that my left foot hurt because I have a bunion.  My foot does not often hurt when I walk on it unless the shoes are ill fitting (i.e. one old pair of winter boots which I've now retired).  Occasionally, yes, but mostly my foot pain wakes me up at night.  She said I should get an orthotic.  They got in touch with my insurance and advised that it would cost me $500.  I've decided to be happily in denial.  I dashed about today in my cute little black booties and my foot did not hurt at all but last night it woke me up to make its presence known.  It was a painful little SOB, too, and when I got out of bed and walked on it, it stopped, just as it always does.  How does a bunion make the arch of your foot hurt when you're not walking on it?  The bunion doesn't hurt, the arch hurts, and I am sleeping, not sleepwalking.

A few years ago I had horribly painful corns.  You ever had a corn?  Those motherfuckers hurt.  I tried getting in to see a podiatrist but I could not for weeks.  Through self-treatment and hope, the corn problem eventually resolved itself and I cancelled the podiatry appointment.  For every good review I read of that particular podiatrist there was one mediocre or bad review.  For the practice I visited, I did not read any reviews as a friend said they were very good.

When they called me up to advise how much it would cost, they expected me to just race back in and plop down the money, have the form of my foot made, and get the orthotic.  They were very surprised when I said, "Thanks very much for calling.  I will be in touch."

A friend said that stress can manifest itself in different ways and perhaps my work stress was coming out through the arch of my foot.  That seems as plausible to me as anything else, frankly.

I will be speaking to my own internist next month and will meanwhile be reveling in my trip down "denial."  Call me Cleopatra.  This may be a bunion but, clearly, there is something else afoot.  Ha.  Denial and comedy go together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's that dame?

Have you seen the gallinule?