I am all for it
I went to the library this afternoon and on the way stopped at two stores that give me a birthday present every year during the month of my birthday. One was a full-size mascara! The other was samples of eye stuff and an apology, "I am sorry, but since it's later in the month, this is all we have left." I assured her that was fine and thanked her and went on my way.
The sidewalks were crammed and jammed. It was about 55ยบ so people were out in full force and brought their kids, too. Looking at them I realized that they're from the suburbs where all the same stores exist in suburban shopping malls. The Banana Republic is no different from the one at Old Orchard and the Tiffany Store is just like the one at Oakbrook -- different layout, same merch. The Macy's on State Street is bigger and so has more square footage for crap and has Xmas-themed windows but just from glancing at them a couple of weeks ago as I strolled by, I didn't think they were worth scrutiny. The new Starbuck's on Michigan Avenue had a line snaking down the street but it's Starbuck's. There are two others within three blocks in three directions.
However, if all these people want to come to Chicago and bulk up our tax revenue, I am all for it. I am not in love with guys playing drums on plastic buckets and drum circles in general because, dear lord, the racket is absolutely deafening but they don't have those at the suburban mall and the guys might make a few bucks so I just stay away from them because I can hear where they are and, yeah, I am all for it. But like the older lady who looked great in her bright red coat with the black detail and the very nice wig replied when I told her she how good she looked and wondered where all these people came from: "I don't know but I can't take it. I'm going home."
They were also all paying 7¢ to get the store bag. I'm all for that, too. Maybe the visitors will see these other stores and then go there and bulk up our tax revenues. I could suggest other parts of Chicago where they might find non-chain things but they seemed to love being on Michigan Avenue and State Street so, fine, I am all for it.
Welcome to Chicago. Please remember to fill your wallets full of cash and plastic before setting out.
The sidewalks were crammed and jammed. It was about 55ยบ so people were out in full force and brought their kids, too. Looking at them I realized that they're from the suburbs where all the same stores exist in suburban shopping malls. The Banana Republic is no different from the one at Old Orchard and the Tiffany Store is just like the one at Oakbrook -- different layout, same merch. The Macy's on State Street is bigger and so has more square footage for crap and has Xmas-themed windows but just from glancing at them a couple of weeks ago as I strolled by, I didn't think they were worth scrutiny. The new Starbuck's on Michigan Avenue had a line snaking down the street but it's Starbuck's. There are two others within three blocks in three directions.
However, if all these people want to come to Chicago and bulk up our tax revenue, I am all for it. I am not in love with guys playing drums on plastic buckets and drum circles in general because, dear lord, the racket is absolutely deafening but they don't have those at the suburban mall and the guys might make a few bucks so I just stay away from them because I can hear where they are and, yeah, I am all for it. But like the older lady who looked great in her bright red coat with the black detail and the very nice wig replied when I told her she how good she looked and wondered where all these people came from: "I don't know but I can't take it. I'm going home."
They were also all paying 7¢ to get the store bag. I'm all for that, too. Maybe the visitors will see these other stores and then go there and bulk up our tax revenues. I could suggest other parts of Chicago where they might find non-chain things but they seemed to love being on Michigan Avenue and State Street so, fine, I am all for it.
Welcome to Chicago. Please remember to fill your wallets full of cash and plastic before setting out.
Comments
Post a Comment